There are several towns and counties in the United States where houses can be built upon land and no one would bat an eye. These areas are mostly away from large cities and towns where only a handful of the population lives. It is said that 90% of the population lives in 10% of the land in U.S. The idea is to live in the remaining 90% of the land where very few people live. Avoid being near large cities or counties with large cities in them. The more spread out the people live, the less codes and tax enforcement there is. Here is a list of the places that lists the towns with no housing codes:
• DELTA COUNTY, COLORADO
Delta county is the most perfect place to buy a land in. there are no legal issues pertaining to the setup of the house and there are no housing codes that govern the building. Yeah, not even the septic code.The official websites states that “No building permits are required and no certificates of occupancy are issued for the construction and placement of any structures in the unincorporated area of Delta County. Any questions involving snow loads or other construction questions will have to be directed toward a registered professional engineer / contractor”.
This simply means that the government itself is saying that you can come live in our city and make the houses the way you want of whatever material you desire. We won’t disturb you.
Wyoming is one of the areas where there are no housing codes. Being a plateau you can buy a piece of land on a plateau and there’s no hullaballoo around it. You can peacefully live in your tiny home and it wouldn’t be a problem for anyone. Most incorporated areas of Wyoming have no zoning laws apart from septic which happens to be a state code. But since you are building atop a plateau you just need to run your plumbing line to the downhill and you are done with it.
Statistics say that in Maine, more than 50% of the townships are unorganized which implies that there’s not enough to collect taxes and implement the local housing codes. The neighbours which tend to be a problem elsewhere in the country are also not a problem in here since almost every second person is just like you. Even if you want to build a permanent dwelling in here, you have to just sign a ‘certificate of self-inspection’. The local body just needs to know the footprint of your house for taxation purposes.
I CAN HELP YOU
• RURAL TEXAS
In Texas there are no housing codes for rural property. You can practically go out, find a piece of land, buy it, (just make sure it is not close to the main road) and build a 1000 square feet home on it and nobody will blink an eye. There aren’t any inspectors, no government authority and almost no one except some neighbours (well, maybe they just want to say hello).
When we are talking here of a home, I already mean tiny home on wheels and tiny homes on foundation. some state regulations in Texas are of problem however they can be by-passed as long as you don’t disturb anybody (Please note that most of the problems arise when neighbours are unhappy) and don’t invite government officers to show how you have built your house with gross violations of the state code.
1. Alaska – outside city limits
2. Rural Montana
3. Eureka County, Nevada
4. Rural Arkansas
5. Counties in South Missouri Ozarks
6. Balen, NM (about an hour south from Albuquerque)
7. Montana Vista, Texas
Related: where can you park your tiny house
Related: List of All Tiny House Communities In United States & Canada
• MARFA, TEXAS
Marfa is a popular tourist town which is famous for its minimalist art and all the unconventional housing along with the 19th century rail road and of course Donald Judd.the most common theme of houses and buildings around Marfa is minimalistic. The place has no building codes and people can exhibit their artistic ability to the best of their ability.
HIRE US: THE BEST TINY HOUSE DESIGN AGENCY